This one goes out to all those who live in the Northern Hemisphere…in the colder places. Those of you in the Southern Hemisphere can revisit this one at the end of your winter…for now, please send us warm weather!
I don’t know about you, but I’ve had it with winter, even though it’s not technically over until March 20. On that date, all snow will magically disappear, the weather will get up into the 50’s, (or higher!), and flowers will bloom. It will be lovely. At least, this is what I keep telling myself. But until then, here is how I’ve been fighting the winter blahs. Get ready to use your imagination and “pretending skills”.
1. NEON. Yes, neon is back from the dead, so use it to your benefit. My nails are covered in neon yellow (by Revlon, from Target) at present and I now own three colors of neon earrings from Claire’s. Today I wore pink.
2. Color in general. Add color to your wardrobe! I mean, we should all do this all the time, but until I lived up north, I never knew what it was to CRAVE color. So, I wear it. Currently, I’m a fan of blues, greens, yellow, pink, etc., etc.
3. Surfing movies. This started with Soul Surfer. Let me warn you: it’s a slippery slope! Netflix has a lot of surf documentaries, and you don’t have to be a surfer to enjoy them! But sometimes…these surfers go to COLD places! Beware! When you see them pull out those wetsuits, they have ventured away from Hawaii. If that happens, you can always watch Kelly Slater in Tahiti. Even if you hate surfing, just vow to only watch movies set in warm places.
4. Obsessively check weather websites with month-views. Then you can see that the weather should be getting warmer later in the month. Whenever you see it dip back down into the 20’s, tell yourself it will change by the time that day comes around.
5. Visit greenhouses. Buy flowers. Or just tape pictures of flowers around your house.
6. Start sewing, thrifting, or otherwise shopping for an Easter outfit. Remember, Jesus is risen! It’s a party! No black! (See point #2.)
7. Exercise. I hit a point this winter where I felt REALLY cranky and like I wanted to scream and run out of our house (sometimes we’re dramatic over here). That was when I went back to the gym…and I’m much happier with a little bit of exercise. If you aren’t part of a gym, you could become a mall-walker! (I’m not actually kidding about that.)
8. Drink coffee. With caffeine. That always makes me happy. And nicer. Just don’t drink too much or you won’t be able to stop talking and you’ll start to twitch.
9. If you have kids, sign them up for swimming lessons. Hey, I know it’s weird, but then you get to sit and watch them swim in that warm indoor pool air. You could wear a tank top and flip flops and pretend it’s summer. Or you could go to a sauna. Or just sit in front of a space heater.
10. Have summer in the winter! Last week we cranked up the heater and put on shorts and t-shirts. Then we made hamburgers on our Foreman grill and had cranberry shortcake. It’s not the same as strawberry, but it’s still good. Tim Gunn would tell you to make it work!
Yes, there is a lot of suspension of reality involved in these suggestions, but sometimes living in a dream world can be good for you and everyone around you. Don’t worry, eventually spring will catch up to you and you can go back to living in reality.