Monday was sewing day, and I’m pleased to say I made real progress. I finished the one piece and the low-rise bottoms test versions of the Soma Swimsuit pattern by Papercut Patterns.
Don’t you think the snow is an appropriate backdrop?
Here are my notes and thoughts for you. I sized the bottoms down from the medium that fit my measurements to a small and the top of the one-piece from a small to an extra small after testing out the high-rise bottoms and the bikini top variation 1, which is a similar style to the one-piece. I think that for the low-rise bottoms, I should go back up to a medium, although I like the high-rise bottoms in a small. I also used a different elastic technique on the low-rise bottoms and I think it makes them look like…well, have you ever seen a swim diaper? Kind of like that. The good news is that they’re not going anywhere, but they give me some serious muffin-top, if you know what I mean.
The one piece is easy to put together even if you are different sizes on the top and the bottom. Because the back doesn’t close, you just need to make sure you mark the midpoint of your top and bottom pieces and line those up. (The pattern tells you to line up the markings on the top with the side seams of the bottom, but if you just mark the mid-points of top and bottom pieces, everything still works out.) I definitely heard some popping stitches as I pulled the one-piece on, but thankfully they were basting stitches. Everything felt pretty secure, but if you are someone who likes support up top, this is not the suit for you. Sadly, I do like some support or else Speedo-like compression, so I think I will not make the one-piece in my final fabric. I also wonder how the fold-over elastic is going to hold up over time. Still, the suit is wearable, professional, and a vast improvement over last year’s attempt. Also, I really like the mid-weight fabric in the one-piece as opposed to the light-weight fabric I used for the bottoms.
Here are a few close-ups in case you want to see details:
I still have bikini top variation 2 to go, and I have high hopes for more support and coverage from that pattern. If all goes well, I hope to turn it into a tankini in its final version. I’ll keep you posted!
If you are looking for more details on pattern, fabric, notions, etc., see my last post here.
these look so good!!
Thanks! It’s getting easier. I still need more practice, though.
These look great! Your stitching looks very professional, and I’m impressed that you’ve been managing to wrangle this slippery and stretchy fabric into submission. I completely agree with you about wanting some support in a swimsuit top, even for a small bust (like mine). I feel like this style of suit would only be suitable for someone extremely comfortable with their body. Hopefully you’ll feel more secure in the bikini top!
Thanks. I have high (maybe too high) hopes for that one, but no matter what happens, it’s all practice, right? I’ll probably move on to trying some of the Jalie suits next. These have a cooler look, but I think the people at Jalie have more experience with drafting suits.
I think your version looks awesome. Made me tempted to buy the one piece pattern. And love the colors for both even if they’re tests. Extra spring colors against that snow
Thanks! I think it can look great. It’s not the most awesome on me, but I still like how it turned out, and my goal is to get good at swimsuit sewing. Make that awesome at swimsuit sewing. 😉
LikeLiked by 1 person
What a pro! Love the colors you’ve chosen for each suit.✾
You did a great job, Lisa. Your sewing is really good!!! I do love the snow as a back drop…it actually gives me hope for spring!!!! :o)
Thanks! When I look outside, it seems inconceivable that it will all melt someday. The bright suit colors (and all the clothing colors in the stores) do make it feel like spring will come one day.