Hi, everyone! After a nice, long break, I think it’s time to get back to it! Having said that, this post isn’t actually about sewing, but it is about something that is alive and well in the making community: visible mending.
If you search “visible mending” on the internet, you’ll come up with a lot of different ways to take the idea of mending, which is often viewed as something boring or antiquated or a waste of time, and turn it on its head. What I love about visible mending is that it takes the idea of mending being drudgery and elevates it to something interesting and beautiful. Now, you don’t always want your mending to be visible–of course it depends on the garment and your vision for it, but if you decide to go the visible mending route, why not make it fun?
In that vein, I decided to think about a fun way to mend this little jacket that I found at the thrift store.
It was in good shape aside from a few light stains and some small holes.
My original idea was to zig zag stitch back and forth over the holes in bright, contrasting colors. Then a half-forgotten thought surfaced in my mind. Someone had mentioned some sort of tape you could use to fix jackets and backpacks. I started looking around on the internet and found this: Tenacious Tape.
This isn’t a sponsored post or anything; I wanted to talk about it because it provides a quick and easy way to fix down jackets and more. You can use it on your camping gear, your sleeping bag, neoprene, rubber, and vinyl, and you can machine wash garments that have this tape on them without it coming off. It comes in lots of colors as well as clear and reflective options, and even precut shapes.
It is pretty expensive relative to the amount you get. I think I paid around $10 for a 20″ x 3″ rectangle, so following my multi-color idea in tape rather than stitching didn’t seem very economical, especially when I was trying to save money by thrifting. To be fair, this color was probably the most expensive option.
Next, I chose a simple shape–a heart–and printed it off from my computer to make a little template. I printed it in pink to get an idea of how it would look.
On the back side of the tape, I traced the number of hearts I needed to cover all the holes and carefully cut them out. Before sticking them on, I had to clean each area I wanted to repair with isopropyl alcohol and trim any threads. After that, all that was left was to peel off the backing and carefully stick the little hearts over each of the holes.
Now it’s in perfect shape for a little person who needs a warm fall/winter jacket!