It’s finally spring! I’m so ready for it, but before I start digging into spring projects, I have some winter garments to talk about on the blog. One of those garments is a pair of Jutland Pants for me in yellow corduroy.
The Jutland Pants are a men’s pants pattern by Thread Theory. I’ve made a few pairs for my husband (here and here), but they also miraculously fit me (see my first pair and my cutoffs). And, like any good pair of boyfriend jeans, they are loose and comfy.
This time around, I had to trace a new size, but I was in the middle of two sizes, so I tried to trace right in between the size lines on the pattern sheet. I’m always afraid of making things too small, so I tend to err on the side of bigger rather than smaller. With this iteration of the Jutland Pants, I think I went just a little too big. The pants, which are SO comfortable, are also super loose, and definitely a bit bigger than they should be. You can kind of see below that there is a bit extra in the waistband.
When I first put them on, the waistband really stood away from my body at the back, so I put in a few darts after they were otherwise finished. I tried to line up the waistband darts I was creating with the darts that were already in the back.
I transferred the darts to my pattern piece for the future. I also came to an important conclusion: if I’m going to keep making this pattern for myself, it’s time to get serious about making it actually fit me.
As far as this pair goes, I love them. I recognize that they don’t look great on me, but they do feel great. I’m so ready for pants with wider legs. All that being said, however, I plan to make the next pair a bit smaller and do some real work on the pattern to make it fit me just right. I’m even researching possible ways to make the waistband adjustable for weight gain or loss (seriously–why is that not standard on all pants?).
Here are some details:
I got my pattern and fabric from Pintuck & Purl. The corduroy (a Christmas present) is a Robert Kaufman corduroy, and the octopus fabric I used for the waistband and pockets is an old Cotton + Steel quilting cotton print. Other supplies, like bias binding, thread, and interfacing came from Joann Fabrics.
I mainly followed the directions, with the addition of the darts and an extra bar tack at the bottom of the fly. One weird thing about this pattern is that it creates a small fold at the bottom of the fly, rather than a smooth surface. Has anyone else experienced this? Am I missing something? It never bothers me when I’m wearing it, but it always leaves me nonplussed when I think about it.
I used faux flat-fell and zigzag stitching on the seam allowances inside to finish my seams, so they aren’t very pretty, but it was quick. There is provision in the pattern for nice, flat-felled seams if you want them, though. In order to do that, you should follow the construction order in the pattern. In future, though, (if I remember), I plan to skip that and construct the front and then the back, like the Ginger Jeans, so I can fit from the side seams before finalizing everything.
Those are my current thoughts on this pattern. I think my great love for it comes from its comfort and the straight leg shape. Hopefully I can get it to really work for me.