Today’s project is New Look 6472, a peasant-style blouse in a lightweight striped cotton with an embroidered edge. I love the boho, ’70’s-inspired style that’s been going around, and this pattern is perfect for that.
I found this fabric in the clearance section of Hobby Lobby in Indiana this summer. I had planned to make a skirt with it, but changed my mind when considering what fabric to use for a first try of this pattern. I decided to make View A with the sleeves of View C in a size 18 bust and 20 waist and hip.
In order to use the fabric well, I made a few adjustments to the pattern. There are two lengths included. However, the embroidered edge seemed perfect for the bottom, and I wanted it to fall at midhip, so I shorted it 1.5″ from the shorter view. I also took a risk and lined up the finished embroidered edge straight to the bottom of the front and back pattern pieces, even though it threw the grainline off a bit and added a wedge of fabric into the center front and back. I figured I could probably gather that into the neckline.
Luckily it didn’t seem like a broadback adjustment was necessary on this pattern, and the little bit of fabric those wedges added seemed like extra insurance.
The pattern wasn’t too difficult, which was nice after all the changes I attempted on my last project. There were a few little things I would change. I think they forgot a step between steps 11 and 12. It should direct you to press the unsewn long raw edge of the binding to the wrong side at 3/8″.
Also, there was no direction to trim the seam allowance around the neckline, but I thought it seemed like a good idea. If you leave it untrimmed, it can create some structure to wrap the neckline binding around, but that seemed like it might be a little too stiff for this shirt.
Additionally, when making the neck ties, I think it would be easier to fold the tie right sides together the long way, sew one short end, pivot, and sew the long edge, leaving the thread tails from the beginning of your sewing long. You can then thread them through a needle, push that needle to the inside and push it through the tube and out the open end, turning the tie right side out.
I finished the inside with French seams, which I love. I also like the little buttons on the sleeves, but I didn’t plan ahead to find some nice looking elastic for my button loops, so I used the 1/8″ white elastic I had on hand. The buttons are vintage ones from my in-laws (thanks, Mom and Dad!).
I’m happy with how this shirt turned out. I suspect that the armholes might need some fitting tweaks that I don’t yet know how to do, but I have to say that other than trying it out under a warm sweater the day I finished it, I haven’t had a chance to wear it. It’s been pretty cold here. My plan was to wear it once or twice and then put it away for the spring, but it may go to a family member who fell in love with it. I love it too, but I actually have a fair number of shirts, and I can always make another one…or borrow it back. 😉
I’m really happy to have found a pattern in this style that I like, and I hope to make more of these–maybe in a drapey fabric next time!
This shirt is great. I love that embroidered hem and the pairing of fabric and pattern is fantastic. This style of shirt looks great on you. Hopefully you can find more fabric to make it again if you’ve passed this one on!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks, Jenny! I have thought about trying it in a drapey fabric at some point, but would definitely love another cotton one like this, too.