It’s still cold spring here, but I think this is my last spring sweatshirt…and it’s a good one. This is the Brunswick Pullover from Hey June Handmade, my first pattern from this company, and probably not my last. This is a great pattern.
I made View A with the cowl neck of View B in a size 16 bust and 18 hip. I used a green Polartec Curly Fleece from Fashion Fabrics Club (just like last week’s sweatshirt) and a Rifle Paper Co. quilting cotton from Pintuck and Purl. The zipper on the pocket was from Wawak (I wanted the specific length called for rather than a zipper I would have to shorten, so I had to order it) and the anorak snaps, thread, and interfacing came from my stash.
Hey June Handmade is a company whose patterns I’ve had my eye on for awhile. Last year, I planned to make the free Durango Tank, but never got around to it. I saw this pattern release, though, and really liked the pattern as well as the various photos of people’s finished pullovers around the internet. Katie’s Brunswick with the striped hood and other details was really inspiring as was Loni’s Brunswick with the white outside and Rifle Paper Co. button placket. This last one was the inspiration that stuck with me as I looked for my own fabric.
Although I prefer paper patterns, this is only available in PDF currently, so I decided to put my preference aside and go for it. Adrianna Appl, the designer, makes this PDF really easy to use with layered sizing (meaning you only have to print the sizes you need) and loads of information about printing and taping PDF’s, cutting your fabric, and sizing before you even start. I was impressed from the very beginning by the detail and depth of information. There is a lot of hand-holding in the pattern in the best way. Adrianna does everything possible to ensure that you have a good and successful experience sewing her pattern.
I think the thing that really drew me to this pattern is all the fun little details you can add that take this from merely a cozy sweatshirt to cozy sweatshirt with a distinctive twist. Here are some close-ups of my choices: a contrast zipper pocket on the sleeve,
functional snap plackets on the sides lined with contrast fabric,
and a big, cozy cowl neck.
A few notes from sewing the pattern:
- I used a walking foot and a jersey/ballpoint needle as well as a lighter presser foot pressure.
- To mark the pocket on the arm, I used tailor’s tacks since fabric marker or chalk wouldn’t have shown up well on the fleece.
- Because I was using fleece, I couldn’t press without melting the fabric, and therefore couldn’t use fusible interfacing. I opted to hand baste some sew-in woven interfacing at the necessary points. Where the pattern called for pressing, I finger pressed.
- It can be a little bit hard to tell the front from the back when the pullover is finished if you used the cowl neck option (unless you memorize which arm the outer pocket goes on), so I made a little tag out of a pretty bit of selvage and sewed it inside the back near the neck seam.
This was a really enjoyable pattern to sew. I love, love, love the finished product, and I’m so impressed with all the attention to detail in this pattern, that I would love to sew another from this company. Plenty of patterns out there are good, but I think the quality of this one is a step above. I’m glad I tried it. It’s been fun to have a bright colored sweatshirt to fight off the spring rain and chill, too.
And with that, I’ll leave you with one of my favorite outtakes/silly shots:
Many thanks to my long-suffering photographer. 😀