And here’s the last of my unselfish sewing…EVER. Ok, just kidding. At least for now. I made myself another Briar top (by Megan Nielsen patterns) as well as two Mini Briars and one mash-up of an adult Briar and a kids’ Briar.
This is now my third Briar (number one in a double-layer knit is here and number two in Polartec is here), but it’s my first time making a Mini Briar. I received all three of Megan’s children’s patterns as a thank you for being a pattern tester for the Mini Tania culottes (which are super-cute, by the way). The children’s Briar is similar to the adult version, although not identical. It came together very easily. One thing I love about Megan Nielsen patterns is their visual clarity. When I first started sewing garments, I was always intimidated by the busy and complicated look of the standard patterns you find in chain fabric stores. Megan’s patterns are completely opposite to that. They have a clean look to them that makes you feel confident you will be able to understand them. Actually, I think that is the case with a lot of the independent pattern companies, which is a big plus.
It is a great advantage to have the same pattern in a kids’ version and an adult version when you are sewing for someone who doesn’t quite fit in either range, but is somewhere in the middle. This was the case with the aqua and pink shirt. It was great to be able to pull both patterns out, compare sizes and make a custom pattern from the two of them. It was a bit of a head-scratcher at times, trying to figure it all out and make the best-fitting pattern possible, but all the problem-solving is one of the things I really like about sewing, so I enjoyed the challenge.
I ordered all of the deer fabric from Girl Charlee. It’s a poly/cotton blend, so we’ll see how it wears over the long run. The fabric for the short-sleeved Mini Briar is left over from a long ago project and is from Jo-Ann’s.
Sewing all these up reminded me that while I really love sewing knits because they are so forgiving, I still have a lot to learn. I’m getting better at choosing stitches that work well, but I still get wavy collars that don’t sit right. Part of the problem is that, in most cases, I’m not quite sure what I’m doing wrong. In the aqua and pink shirt, I raised the neckline, but still used the original pattern piece for the neckband, which I should have shortened. Lesson learned. As for the other ones, they are pretty close, but not quite right. Ironing helped, but I think I still need more practice. Oh, well!
Overall, these are great shirts and they have been getting lots of wear. It’s nice to see my t-shirt collection slowly getting more interesting and colorful, and it was fun to try out a kids’ pattern. I think the recipients of the kids’ shirts were happy, too. 🙂
Here’s some fun stuff to check out over the weekend.
- You have to see this dirndl on the Draped in Cloudlets blog. I’m so impressed by the fit, subtle details, and sheer amount of work that must have gone into this! The results are so beautiful, and really inspiring. I think I may need a reason to sew a dirndl…
- I’ve been listening to a lot of the folk/bluegrass music of Sarah Jarosz lately. I don’t have a broad knowledge of music, but when I find someone I like, I tend to play their music to death.
- I always figured that the one everyday clothing item I couldn’t make was shoes. Then I saw these ballet flats that Jodie of Scared Stitchless made. I’m happy to be proven wrong. These are amazing.
- Here’s another cool music video for you this week: Wintergatan–Marble Machine. The music is made by marbles being run through a machine by the artist. Fascinating and lovely.