And now, back to what is becoming our regularly scheduled programming–sewing. This blog certainly didn’t start out as a sewing blog, but it seems to be heading in that direction, something I both love (because I love sewing), and am a little bit surprised at (because I love SO MANY THINGS). But, I’ll go with the sewing for a little bit. I do have some non-sewing ideas, but I’m still working on the huge batch of projects I set myself to toward the end of summer, so all the other stuff will have to wait. Believe it or not, I’m making my first piñata right now, but that will most likely never make it onto the blog.
What I do have is a little bit of a backlog of sewing projects to show you. You may or may not remember that in August I made myself a huge list of projects, narrowed down alittle, then traced all my patterns, cut out all my fabric, and began to sew. Then, after getting a bunch done, I put everything on hold to do the Refahioners 2015 contest and my first ever pattern testing for Megan Nielsen (keep your eye on her site–she has a really cute girl’s pattern coming out soon). One of my goals within the batch sewing that I was doing was to make wearable muslins so that I could determine if I liked the patterns I was trying and if any fitting was needed. I’ve had a few good makes (the Coco dress from Tilly and the Buttons and McCall’s 6848 shorts) and a not-so-favorite (the Hemlock Tee from Grainline Studio). Today’s pattern, Butterick 6132 was another win.
I made View B. I was inspired (like so many others) by some of Boden’s color-blocked t-shirts, and I had in mind to make this out of some Riley Blake stripe and polka dot fabric that I had seen at fabric.com. While I had originally traced a size 14 for the bust and blended out to the size 16 at the waist and hips, in the end I took it back to a straight 14. The 16 gave me little “wings” at the sides, but the straight 14 was great.
Now, before I show you, remember, this is a wearable muslin. What I mean by that is, that these are not my normal color pairings. When I finished this shirt, though, I did text my Mom and sister a picture with the caption, “The ’90’s are BACK!” I’ve probably been watching too much Saved By the Bell lately. Really, though…those styles are what we are all wearing again, just tweaked a little. Everything old is new again…
When I showed some of my friends, I noticed they were a little quiet…until I told them this was just a test. I actually don’t love these colors together, but I was working with the leftover knit sheets I had in my stock. I also experimented with adding the painted dots on the teal section. Here is the shirt before dots:
It was a little boring for me, so I took some inexpensive white acrylic paint and added some textile medium. I used the eraser end of a pencil and dipped it in the paint and dabbed it on. Then I followed the directions on the bottle of textile medium for how to make it permanent.
I’m happy with the change. It was quick and easy, which I like. The hardest part was letting it sit for a week or so in order for the paint to cure before I heat set it.
So, the final analysis: I would make this again. This one gets to stay in the Pile o’ Possibility!